Categories
News

Call on Advanced Computing Projects: Artificial Intelligence in Cloud

FCT, in partnership with Google, opens applications for the second edition on June 1st. The call intends to support research and development projects in the areas of natural language processing and ethics in artificial intelligence (among others).

The collaboration agreement between the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) and Google created the Call on Advanced Computing Projects: Artificial Intelligence in the Cloud. The first edition (2022) had 11 approved projects that were able to use credits from the Google Cloud platform.

This year, applications open on June 1, at 1 pm, and close on July 13, at the same time. The FCT’s priority – through the National Network for Advanced Computing (RNCA) – is to support research and development projects in the areas of natural language processing and ethics in artificial intelligence. This is where 80% of the available resources will be allocated. The remaining 20% (or more if the previous percentage is not filled) is destined to artificial intelligence and data analysis algorithms.

Who can apply?

  • R&D (Research and Development) institutions;
  • Collaborative laboratories;
  • Technological interface centers;
  • Science and technology infrastructures;
  • Science and technology networks and consortia;
  • Private non-profit institutions whose main objective is R&D activities;
  • Digital Innovation Poles;
  • Other public and private non-profit institutions that develop or participate in research, development, or innovation activities;
  • Companies developing advanced computing projects in research, development or innovation activities;
  • Individuals operating in Portugal and who wish to develop advanced computing projects in any scientific area.

How to apply?

There are two types of access:

Fixed access – credits on the Google Cloud platform worth USD 25,000, with a maximum duration of 365 days

Variable access – credits on the Google Cloud platform worth USD 150,000, with a maximum duration of 365 days

What are the selection criteria?

T1: Technical suitability to the resources requested

T2: Computational resources planning and reasonableness and Work Plan

T3: Technological or scientific relevance of the advanced computing project

The application forms and other information are detailed on the FCT website.