For this first year of the Advanced Computing Project Competition: Artificial Intelligence in the Cloud 2022, the external evaluation panel approved all the candidates that applied.
This first edition of the initiative that wants to support research in Artificial Intelligence in Portugal, will run for 12 months, and the 11 approved projects will receive Google Cloud Platform credits worth 799 364 USD (American dollars).
The 2nd edition of this contest, which is already in the plans, will have the remaining credits still unused, until it reaches the value of US$ 2 million in credits.
From the application submission period – that was in effect between March 30 and May – and subsequent selection, the following information regarding the works that received funding resulted:
- 36% of the approved projects fall within the area of natural language processing
- 18% for ethics in artificial intelligence
- 90% in exact sciences and engineering
- 10% in life and health sciences
- 55% of the projects are associated with institutions in Lisbon
- 27% from the north
- 9% from the south and islands
All leading researchers work in Portuguese territory and 82% of them are men.
The results can be seen in full on the FCT website.